2015-07-05

The first time when I dreamed of writing


It has been so long since I first dreamed of being the writer. Before I'd thought of writing, I was the person who stayed far away from writing. The only thing in my mind was to become the rich and live happily with my family. I was the simple creature and there was nothing big. When I was in middle school, the problem occurred. It was about the history and the island between Korea and Japan, and the question raised saying "why do my people have to feel the sorrow though we accomplished the emancipation 60 years ago? what was the problems?"

Korea went through the dynamic history, especially in twentieth century. We were colonized and experienced the massacres and sexual slavery. We've gone through the dramatic economic growth and got democratized. We've overcome the agony of the war and separation. Even though we are still fighting in between the war, we well come so far. But the history and the world always try to forget our story. which brought me the biggest question.

"Why does the world remember the holocaust, but not us?"
"Why does the world try to remember the pain that Jewish came through, but not us?"
"Why does the world study and talk about the sorrow of the slavery and forced labor happening through the world history, but not ours?"

However, the most sorrowful and painful fact was that even in Korea everything started to be forgotten, and so did I. After a few years, I watched the TV show about the mysterious fact and unbelievable history. It was talking about the island, called "The Island of Death." It was about the forced labors between in 1939-1945 and showed how cruel the Japan did to our grandparents; however, they tried to make it designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site, under the "legendary modernization."

From the very bottom of my heart, something unknown aroused. Suddenly, I thought how Jewish let their story remembered. They wrote about it. They made the world read about their story. They kept writing and writing about their sad history not to forget. But in Korea, not many. It seemed they more tried to hide the truth. We were not really taught our pain in the history classes. We were made to only focused on the college entrance exam. Historical sadness was not the matter for us, but the individuals' lives were though most lost where we headed for. I've decided to be the writer who write about the history that the world kept telling us to forget and let go. I now know that if I let it go and tried to live only my life, then we all experienced the hell again. That was why I've decided to major in English and decided to write the literature.

It was the different video from what I actually watched, but says the same thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment