2013-02-05

Literature itself for me

As an English major in college, I do love the literature, especially English and American literature. Since last month, I also started to love all other types of literature, which is not only written in English, but also in other languages having different views, such as Muslim or eastern religious background.
While studying in South Korea, I did not like literature at all. I almost hated, although loved to BUY and read books. It was always too fictional and too unrealistic to read. Also lack of ability to understand the differences between the idea and philosophy I had and literature contained could not be taken and it was little painful for me to think deeply about what the author claimed because I applied too mathematical way to think. But as grown up and meeting more people with different backgrounds and thoughts, I started to become interested in those differences and willing to study more about them. My desire to know and study more about it was discovered when I attended to high school in United States. As remember, I took an British Literature class during my junior year with a teacher who had so much enthusiasm toward the literature and delivering the knowledge she had about it. Despite not an extinguished intellect, challenging myself was one of my amusements and her class kept challenging me to push forward. There were two facts that made me love the literature. First, the bottom lines of thoughts were same with me, Christianity. Growing up under the pastor father feed me with the strong belief and biblical knowledge. The first poem letting me enter the love of poems was "On His Blindness" by John Milton, which was written after Milton lost his sight. Its strong and clever theme attracted and suggested me to study more about literature. Second, it satires everything in the world; economics, cultures, politics, so on. While reading Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's travel", how it criticized the rotten politics in England by wits made me interested and let the thought of being a writer grow in my mind.
Although my parents wanted me to study Economics, I chose English over it. My parents claimed that studying Economics would be helpful for my future career and for studying more deeply about what I was interested in, almost everything in the world. However, it was only my parents' belief. In my opinion, literature actually have everything in the world; philosophy, history, culture, psychology, religion, so on. With the beauty of language and the art of words, I totally fall in love with literature which push me to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment