2013-03-22

Polly Honeycombe #2


"Polly.
I have not read so many books for nothing. Novels, Nursee, Novels! A Novel is the only thing to teach a girl life, and the way of the world, and elegant fancies, and love to the end of the chapter." (P. 72)

"Polly.
Lord , Nursee, if it was not for Novels and Love-letters, a girl would have no use for her writing and reading.-But what's here? [reading.] Poetry!" (P. 77)

"Polly.
Lord, Papa, how can you be so angry with me? - I am as dutiful as any girl in the world.- But there's always an uproar in the family about marrying the daughter, and now poor I must suffer in my turn." (P. 86)

"Polly.
Dispose of me!-See there now!-Why you have no notion of these things, Papa!-Your head's so full if trade and commerce, that you would dispose of your daughter like a piece if merchandise-But my heart is my own property, and at nobody's disposal, but my own.-Sure you would not consign me, like a bale of silk, to Ledger and Co.-Eh! Papa!" (P. 87)

"Honeycombe, alone.
Zouns, I shall run mad with vexation-I shall-Was ever man so heartily provoked?-You see now, Gentlemen, [coming forward to the audience.] what a situation I am in!-Instead of happiness and jollity,-My friends and family about me,-A wedding and a dance,-And every thing as it should be,- Here am I, left by myself,-Deserted by my intended son-in-law-Bully'd by an attorney's clerk-My Daughter mad-My Wife in the Vapours-And all's in confusion. -This comes of Cordials and Novels. -Zouns, your Stomachicks are the Devil-And a man might as well turn his Daughter loose in Covent-garden, as trust the cultivation of her mind to
A CIRCULATING LIBRARY." (P. 109)

According to Polly,
"Novels are Hotbeds for your forward Plants.
Not only Sentiments refine the Soul,
But hence we learn to be the Smart and Drole;
Each awkward circumstance for laughter serves,
From Nurse's nonsense to my Mother's NERVES:"

"NOVELS will teach us all the Art of War:" (P. 110)

No comments:

Post a Comment