2013-10-31

30 October 2013


1)

Heinrich Schliemann Inspiration

While tweeting yesterday, I had a chance to use the name, Heinrich Schliemann, as a metaphor for who proved what he believed is true; however, the more strongly influential fact was that he was able to speak fluently in 15 other languages, acquired by his own learning methods. He actually memorized foreign language books. I changed my research paper for the Advanced Composition class from Victor Hugo to Heinrich Schliemann language learning.
His self-motivation and self-directed goal absolutely inspired me, and made me read about his life and thoughts. I wanted to live like him, adventure and studious. He just became my life role-model, which changed my reading plan for this week.
I was planning to read 1) Rewriting: How to Do Things with Texts, 2) Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace, 3) Autobiography of W. E. B. Du Bois, and a fiction I have, but now replacing whichever fiction I was thinking to read to "Schliemann of Troy: Treasure and Deceit" by David A Traill. Although not sure it is actually his biography, pretty sure it is about his life and adventure.
In addition, I started his method of language learning on Japanese by memorizing "Between Calm and Passion" by Ekuni Gaori. It has been more than seven years I did not speak and study Japanese, but still little remember very basic grammar role and hope that Japanese for dummies could help to improve my language skill. I believe it might take about six months, but an hour everyday with joy.

2)

Poetry collections


Next week, 6 November 2013, Poet Rodney Jones will visit Purdue University for the poetry reading, and to prepare Q&A section, I bought his poetry collection; however, right next to his book, there was another poetry collection by Mary Oliver, winner of the Pulitzer Prize. For English language learning followed by the method of Heinrich Schliemann, I decided to memorize poems, and the first poetry collection I try to memorize is Rodney Jones's Imaginary Logic. His collection gave me good feeling since the first page says, "Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth? Ecclesiastes 3:21." Despite lack of knowledge on him, Bible verse delivered good image on his poetry and hope I enjoy the reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment