2015-11-15

The Old Man and The Sea, Earnest Hemingway, Goodreads Book Review

The Old Man and the SeaThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Personally, I don't like any idea based on nihilism, since it goes against my motivation toward the life. However, the old man and the sea is totally different. Even though Hemingway treated the life as nothing left after all, I could find more than nihilism.
As I know, he won both Pulitzer prize and the Nobel prize, which I actually have the strong desire for, with this small volume of the story. It well indicates about the life and human's basic instinct for the life and accomplishment. Although the old man couldn't get anything from the sea because of the fights with sharks, he still had a boy next to him.
We are always struggling to fight against the life and the obstacle blocking out ways, and after the long fight, it seemed that we have nothing left with. But in fact, we have any kind of relationship still keeping us from giving up the lives and letting us rest with peace.

+plus: 2015.11.15
Recently, all of sudden, I've thought that our lives are more like the marlin rather than the old man who fought against the nature to get what he desired for. Sometimes, we were just hooked and dragged to where the society takes us to be and believed that that is the reality, even though it is not. At the end of the journey, there might be nothing left who did dot live their own lives and lived fiercely in the way that the old man let it be.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment